Feeling like concocting something evil and tasty?
Doctor P. D. McDastardly's Double Chocolate Spent Grain Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 tsp of....this, 1 tsp of that. Some other stuff and of course grain. If you are a home brewer making all grain beer, or know one, or work in a brewery - you'll have access to all the spent grain you need. It is a byproduct of the brewing process. Our local craft brewers generally give it away to local farmers to feed pigs. But what if you aren't a brewer or home brewer? You can come visit us and we'll give you some for free (really - we just set some aside from one of our beers and freeze it so you can use it when you're ready). Or ask a homebrewer buddy, or your local micro or nana brewery. You only need two cups - they'll try to give you two pails! Just be sure to bribe them with cookies!
1 cup softened butter (250 ml.)
1 cup packed brown sugar (250 ml.)
1/2 cup granulated sugar (125 ml.)
2 eggs (2)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (7 ml.)
2 cups all-purpose flour (500 ml.)
1 tsp baking soda (5 ml.)
1/2 tsp salt (2 ml.)
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (350 g)
4 tbsp cocoa powder (60 ml.)
2 cups Spent Grain* (500 ml.)
1. Pre heat oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. In large bowl, beat softened butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until creamy.
3. In medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt. Gradually blend into creamed mixture.
4. Stir in semi-sweet chocolate chips and Spent grain.
5. Drop from small spoon onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown. Makes about 5 dozen cookies.
*Notes on spent grain: You can use spent grain from pretty much any beer. Grain from lagers and light ales with give you all the texture and fibre, but grain from a stout, porter, or dark all will also add espresso type notes and more flavour complexity. Feel free to experiment and try different kinds. After all, what would a mad doctor do?